- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
- Nov. 2 concert celebrates release of Jodi Beach’s sixth recording
- Healthy Halloween Party Nov. 1 at U of I College of Medicine at Rockford
- Three local NFL Flag Football teams head to regional competition
- ‘Hoo’ Haven hosts annual open house Nov. 2 in Durand
Aug. 4 deadline for State of the Arts Award nominations
Rockford Area Arts Council urges the public to consider honoring an arts advocate, business or individual artist by nominating them for a 2011 State of the Arts Award. Nomination deadline is Aug. 4.
Nominees will be evaluated on the basis of the breadth and depth of their work.
The Lawrence E. Gloyd Community Impact Award will honor an advocate whose efforts in advocacy, support and/or volunteerism in the arts have generated a significant positive impact on the community over a period of time.
A business will be honored that recognizes the importance of the arts through financial or in-kind support, use of the arts in the workplace, and/or encouragement of employees to volunteer for the arts, or a business that otherwise serves as an advocate for the arts.
An individual artist, whose achievements and commitment to the arts have generated a significant and positive impact on the community over a period of time, will also be honored.
Nomination forms are available at the Arts Council office, 713 E. State St., or may be downloaded at www.artsforeveryone.com.
Awards will be presented at the 2011 State of the Arts Awards from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 5, at Cliffbreakers, 700 W. Riverside Blvd., Rockford. Cost is $40 for Arts Council members and $45 for non-members.
Call the Arts Council at (815) 963-6765 for reservations or more information.