- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Fishing: July 29 deadline for kayak anglers tournament in Beloit, Wis.
Paddle and Trail will host professional kayak angler Drew Gregory’s 2011 River Bassin Tournament Trail Saturday, July 30, in Beloit, Wis. The event will feature some of the top kayak anglers from across the country.
Entry deadline is Friday, July 29, with a mandatory pre-tournament meeting at 7 p.m. at The Rock Bar and Grill, 101 Maple Ave., Beloit, Wis. The Rock Bar and Grill can be reached at (608) 363-7625.
Tournament check-in time is 4:30 p.m., Saturday, July 30, at Paddle and Trail, 110 W. Grand Ave., Beloit, Wis. Paddle and Trail can be reached at (608) 362-6521.
Registration fees range from $40 to $60 per person.
For more information about the tournament trail, its stops across the U.S., its sponsors, hosts, partners and causes, visit www.riverbassintrail.com.
Throughout the 12-stop tournament trail, more than $60,000 in prizes from numerous sponsors will be given away. The trail began in Charlotte, N.C., April 2, and is slated to finish Sept. 10 in Roanoke, Va. Roanoke will host the trail’s grand finale, where food, live music, a separate lake tournament and a film festival will take place along with awarding the River Bassin series champion.
The trail will also raise money for the ALS Foundation. The foundation is instrumental in assisting those with Lou Gehrig’s Disease, as well as searching for a cure to a disease that can affect anyone, of any race, age, gender or social class at any time.