- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
Pecatonica River Clean-Up re-scheduled for Aug. 28
Online Staff Report
The Eighth Annual Pecatonica River Clean-Up in Freeport has been re-scheduled for Aug. 28 because of recent flooding. The event was originally scheduled for July 30-31.
The clean-up, organized by the United Sportsmen’s Youth Foundation and Rock Hollow Conservation Club, is the largest conservation effort in northern Illinois.
Volunteers are needed to collect trash, not only from the river, but also the shoreline and the nearby prairie path. Service clubs and individuals are encouraged to assist in the clean-up. A cook-out for all volunteers will follow clean-up.
This year, more than 100 volunteers are expected to be out on the river removing several truckloads of debris, bottles, plastic and more from the Pecatonica River. The goal of the annual event is to teach children that their actions have a direct impact on the delicate environment.
The United Sportsmen’s Youth Foundation is a non-profit organization that works to purchase large tracts of habitat, provide and preserve multi-use habitat for children, teach children that personal involvement can positively impact wildlife and habitat, and work to unite sportsmen, agriculture and communities. Donations are accepted.
To register or for more information, call (815) 599-5690 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit www.usyf.org for more details.