- TRRT April 1-7 | Online Edition
- Guest Commentary: the Rockford Apartment Association
- State Roundup: NIU employee improperly reimbursed $30K
- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
- State roundup: National guardsman and cousin arrested in terror plot
- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
A vote for Hoo Haven
If you’re an animal lover, you can help Hoo Haven Wildlife Rehabilitation and Education Center win a $5,000 gas gift card. Citgo’s “Fueling Good” Program offers 501(c)(3) charitable organizations a chance to win free gas to help with their transportation expenses. The organization with the most votes wins. To vote for Hoo Haven, go to the Home Page of www.hoohaven.org and click on the link. Participants may vote once a day per e-mail address. The contest ends at midnight, Aug. 11.
Hoo Haven has served the northern Illinois area for 28 years by caring for injured, sick or orphaned North American wildlife. They release the animals and birds into their natural habitat. Owner Karen Herdklotz states some impressive statistics: “Loving people bring the injured or orphaned animals to us. We care for over 500 animals and birds each year. The state of Illinois requires us to document each one that we take in and release. We are proud to report that our success rate for releasing the animals is over 85 percent. It’s very rewarding and heartwarming.”
Their current improvement project is to build an Aquatic Center for waterfowl. A generous donation by Exelon has made building the Aquatic Center a realistic possibility. Hoo Haven is about $10,000 away from reaching its fund-raising goal to allow the project to be completed.
How can you help make the Aquatic Center a reality? Schools, libraries, scouts and church groups may wish to schedule an education program. Hoo Haven brings the program to your facility. Tours are also available, and both are very reasonably priced. One hundred percent of all donations go directly for animal care.
Hoo Haven is an all-volunteer organization. For more information, to schedule a program or tour, or to make a donation, call (815) 629-2212 or visit hoo.haven.org.
From the Aug. 3-9, 2011, issue