- Beware of online Halloween scams
- Rockton Lions raise funds for Talcott Free Library during Oct. 10 Candy Day
- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
Debate on casinos may be suppressed
Chuck Sweeny really knows how to stimulate a response! When he stated in Sunday’s paper [June 26, 2011] that those “moralists” opposed to casinos in Rockford have little support. On the contrary, I have observed that everyone I talk with on the subject is opposed to casinos. Those people are leaders in the community on many different levels in the service and corporate world. My impression is that the Star is suppressing actual debate on the topic by only headlining the incorrect statements that “everyone is for casinos.” I would be proud of the Star if it actually reported community sentiment on the topic, especially if this letter is printed. There are better ways to build the economy of this region. It may take some work, but it has more chance for building a livable community than casinos can.
Dr. Philip R. Schalow
1st Step Chiropractic, S.C.
From the Aug. 3-9, 2011, issue