- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
RVC student films selected for Aug. 6 Mosaic Student Film Festival
• Film festival begins at 7 p.m. at Rockford Theatre inside Rockford Woman’s Club, 323 Park Ave.
Four students from the Rock Valley College (RVC) Mass Communication Program have had their films chosen to be a part of the Fourth Annual Mosaic Student Film Festival (MSFF), beginning at 7 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 6.
Tom Doherty, Catt Garcia, Sara Garcia and Jayson Phommavongsa are all current or recent students of the RVC Mass Communication Program.
Doherty and Phommavongsa will have two films in the festival. Their short video art project, Skies and City Lights, is a beautiful time-lapse video combining footage of Rockford and Chicago at night set to music. Their other film, Rockford Pro-Life, is a documentary about the local anti-abortion movement, which focuses on the motivation behind their members’ actions.
Sara and Catt worked together on the video art project Childhood, which features a unique take on nostalgia and longing for simpler times. Catt also has a short film called Intrinsic about the thoughts behind someone both inspired by and in awe of the world around them.
Tickets are $5 and can be purchased at the entrance of the Rockford Theatre at Rockford Woman’s Club, 323 Park Ave., Rockford, beginning at 6 p.m. the night of the event. Ticket sales will be donated to the Rockford Rescue Mission.
For more information about the RVC Mass Communication Program, contact Brian Shelton at B.Shelton@rockvalleycollege.edu or (815) 921-3360.
From the Aug. 3-9, 2011, issue