- Dimke: ‘I’m not going to retire’
- IMRF responds: Pay spiking against the rules
- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
Thanks, Doug Halberstadt, for speaking up
I applaud Doug Halberstadt for taking a stand on the inappropriate team name “Young Guns.” Some might say this is no big deal, and my guess is that probably none of the kids on the team will ever turn out to be a homicidal felon. But it certainly sets the wrong tone for a youth team. There are plenty of “cool” team names that would project a more positive image and create the sense of unity that’s so important to success in sports. Thanks again to Doug for helping us stop and think about the impact of words and symbols.
From the Aug. 3-9, 2011, issue