- Two adults, two kids dead in Dec. 20 Rockford shooting
- Teen in custody following shooting on Crestview
- Man sentenced to 38 years for May 2008 murder
- EarthTalk: Still in denial about climate
- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
Thanks, Doug Halberstadt, for speaking up
I applaud Doug Halberstadt for taking a stand on the inappropriate team name “Young Guns.” Some might say this is no big deal, and my guess is that probably none of the kids on the team will ever turn out to be a homicidal felon. But it certainly sets the wrong tone for a youth team. There are plenty of “cool” team names that would project a more positive image and create the sense of unity that’s so important to success in sports. Thanks again to Doug for helping us stop and think about the impact of words and symbols.
From the Aug. 3-9, 2011, issue