- McKellen’s Mr. Holmes a satisfactory conclusion
- Rockford visitor spending jumps
- The misguided Cecil the lion debate
- State, union extend contract again
- Willow Creek left in the dust by development
- CUB helps residents find best deal
- What the Scott Walker fundraising controversy means for 2016
- Corn prices fade as supplies stay in surplus
- Cubs make history in an unfortunate way
- Pension battle headed for SCOTUS?
Thanks, Doug Halberstadt, for speaking up
I applaud Doug Halberstadt for taking a stand on the inappropriate team name “Young Guns.” Some might say this is no big deal, and my guess is that probably none of the kids on the team will ever turn out to be a homicidal felon. But it certainly sets the wrong tone for a youth team. There are plenty of “cool” team names that would project a more positive image and create the sense of unity that’s so important to success in sports. Thanks again to Doug for helping us stop and think about the impact of words and symbols.
From the Aug. 3-9, 2011, issue