- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
- Sharing memories of Ernie Banks
- EarthTalk: What fish can we eat?
- Rock Valley College hosts entrepreneurship event Jan. 30
- Tube Talk: ‘The Americans’ begins third season
- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
Thanks, Doug Halberstadt, for speaking up
I applaud Doug Halberstadt for taking a stand on the inappropriate team name “Young Guns.” Some might say this is no big deal, and my guess is that probably none of the kids on the team will ever turn out to be a homicidal felon. But it certainly sets the wrong tone for a youth team. There are plenty of “cool” team names that would project a more positive image and create the sense of unity that’s so important to success in sports. Thanks again to Doug for helping us stop and think about the impact of words and symbols.
From the Aug. 3-9, 2011, issue