- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Marathon: Second Annual Stone Bridge Trail Marathon Oct. 8
• Boston Marathon qualifying course begins in Belvidere, concludes in Roscoe
Registration is open for the Second Annual YMCA Stone Bridge Trail Marathon. This year’s only local fall marathon begins at 7 a.m., Saturday, Oct. 8. The race, sponsored by the SwedishAmerican Foundation, will begin at the Belvidere Family YMCA and end 26.2 miles later in Leland Park in Roscoe.
The course has been certified as a USATF Boston Marathon qualifying course (IL-10094-JW.). The male course record, held by Steven Hogan, is 3:05:39. The female course recordholder is Phyllis Still with a 4:02:48.
All race proceeds benefit the local participating YMCA’s Strong Kids Fund. Two 5K Runs will be held in conjunction with the marathon. The Belvidere Family YMCA and Stateline Family YMCA in Roscoe will start the 3.1-mile runs at 8:30 a.m.
Registration for the marathon is $80 through Sept. 30, $90 Oct. 1-7. Registration fee for each 5K run is $25 through Sept. 30, then increases to $30 through Oct. 7.
For more details, visit www.ymcastonebridgemarathon.org or call Marianne Eshleman at (815) 623-5858 at the Stateline Family YMCA in Roscoe.
From the Aug. 10-16, 2011, issue