- ‘Death tax’ rhetoric doesn’t address the facts
- ‘We’re back': second ‘Star Wars’ teaser drops
- Sunday Service: Legalizing competition in Illinois’ auto industry
- Cullerton: Don’t bet on right-to-work zones
- State Roundup: Rauner continues “Turnaround” pitch
- Open Government: Improved FOIA laws crucial
- Legislators ask Rauner to pony up pension details
- Rockford Art Deli providing homegrown artists a place to flourish
- Talcott acquisition continues west side trend
- Record Store Day brings vinyl back into the limelight
Pro Football: Brett Favre shoots down rumors of possible comeback
By Doug Halberstadt
Are you kidding me? Did I really hear recent talk about Brett Favre returning to play again this season? I think I actually did hear something about him going to Miami for one more year.
Thankfully, after doing a little research on the rumor of the week, I found out there was some talk about the subject. It made the news all around the country. Most of it created by the media.
There were stories in Miami, of course, but the rumor also showed up all around the country. It was reported on several football and sports-related websites, the Chicago Tribune ran a story with the headline “Would Brett Favre be interested in the Miami Dolphins?”
Favre (wisely) shot down those rumors rather quickly. “I don’t have any interest,” the 41-year-old future Hall of Famer told a reporter from the Miami Herald this past weekend.
Favre should have expressed that same level of sanity last year when he was coaxed out of retirement by his Vikings teammates. They traveled to his farm in Mississippi and successfully convinced the aging quarterback to give it one more try.
Even the staunchest of Favre fans would have to admit that was a huge mistake. He undoubtedly played one season too many. In his 13 starts last year, he had some of the worst numbers of his 20-year career, and he suffered a severe left shoulder injury from a sack by Chicago Bears rookie Corey Woutton.
He only threw 11 touchdowns. His previously low was 18, both times while he was in Green Bay — 1992 and 2006. He threw 19 interceptions. His interception percentage was 5.3 percent, his worst ever, not counting his rookie season in Atlanta, when he threw only four passes and had two of them picked off. His win-loss record was 5-8.
The injury and the lowly stats could have been completely avoided had he only told those Vikings teammates the same thing he told the reporter from Miami.
Favre is certainly one of the top quarterbacks to ever play the game, and quite possibly the greatest of all time. However, even the best have to know when they can’t play the game forever. He should have realized that three seasons ago — he didn’t.
2011 may finally be the first season since 1991 that Favre won’t be on an NFL roster come opening day. The football gods may have finally convinced him the game is greater than any one individual.
Can I get a hallelujah or an amen on that one?
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the Aug. 10-16, 2011, issue