- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
- 11 public housing residents complete job readiness training
- Youth health care enrollment event at NIU Rockford Jan. 29
- More than 50 employers at Jan. 29 job fair
- School district’s credit rating remains solid
- State Police seize LSD, cannabis, U.S. currency in I-80 arrest
- Park District names employee, team of the year
- A closer look at fracking for natural gas
- Susan Johnson, copy editor, moves on after 21 years
- Guest Column: Clean Water Act: Supporters of clean water must make their voices heard
Aug. 19 deadline for Monroe Arts Center photography contest
Online Staff Report
MONROE, Wis. — Monroe Arts Center (MAC) is focusing on your best shots. Enter your photographs of favorite sites, people, pets, landscapes or wildlife in the 22nd Annual Photography Contest and Exhibit.
Photographs entered in this contest will be on exhibit in MAC Wesley Hall from Sept. 2 through Oct. 14. An opening reception and awards presentation for this exhibit is scheduled for 5-7 p.m., Friday, Sept. 2. Entry fee for this contest is $20 per photographer, and the deadline to enter is Friday, Aug. 19.
The judge for the contest is Seattle photographer Lucien Knuteson. Originally from Monroe, Wis., Lucien is a professional photographer specializing in environmental and conceptual portraits. Some of his clients include Microsoft, US Bank, T-Mobile, Costco, Alaska Airlines and Nordstrom. His exhibit, titled “I Shoot People,” will be on display in MAC Frehner Gallery Sept. 2-Oct. 14.
The contest offers two separate classifications: Junior Classification (ages younger than 18) and Adult Classification. Participants may enter up to two photographs. This year’s contest and exhibit will feature three categories, which are Landscape, Portraits and Unclassified. Participants may enter no more than two categories and a total of two photographs, and must have been taken after Jan. 1, 2010.
A new category in 2011 is SNAPSHOT! An entry fee for this category is not required, and participants are allowed to enter one 4-inch by 6-inch print, which will be judged by the public at the opening reception. Cash prizes and ribbons will not be awarded in the SNAPSHOT! Category.
First-, second- and third-place ribbons will be given in each category and classification based on merit and number of entrants. Cash awards for the Adult Classification are $125 for Best of Show, $75 for first runner-up and $50 second runner-up, and cash awards for the Junior Classification are $50 for Best of Show, $30 for first runner-up and $20 second runner-up.
Participants are not required to be Wisconsin residents. For entry forms, photograph and framing details, and additional information, contact the MAC office at (608) 325-5700 or 888-596-1249, or online at monroeartscenter.com.