- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Retain County Clerk Margie Mullins
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Re-elect Jesse White
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Elect Sheila Simon as state comptroller
- Brad Roos to step down as Zion Development executive director
- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
Aug. 19 deadline for Monroe Arts Center photography contest
Online Staff Report
MONROE, Wis. — Monroe Arts Center (MAC) is focusing on your best shots. Enter your photographs of favorite sites, people, pets, landscapes or wildlife in the 22nd Annual Photography Contest and Exhibit.
Photographs entered in this contest will be on exhibit in MAC Wesley Hall from Sept. 2 through Oct. 14. An opening reception and awards presentation for this exhibit is scheduled for 5-7 p.m., Friday, Sept. 2. Entry fee for this contest is $20 per photographer, and the deadline to enter is Friday, Aug. 19.
The judge for the contest is Seattle photographer Lucien Knuteson. Originally from Monroe, Wis., Lucien is a professional photographer specializing in environmental and conceptual portraits. Some of his clients include Microsoft, US Bank, T-Mobile, Costco, Alaska Airlines and Nordstrom. His exhibit, titled “I Shoot People,” will be on display in MAC Frehner Gallery Sept. 2-Oct. 14.
The contest offers two separate classifications: Junior Classification (ages younger than 18) and Adult Classification. Participants may enter up to two photographs. This year’s contest and exhibit will feature three categories, which are Landscape, Portraits and Unclassified. Participants may enter no more than two categories and a total of two photographs, and must have been taken after Jan. 1, 2010.
A new category in 2011 is SNAPSHOT! An entry fee for this category is not required, and participants are allowed to enter one 4-inch by 6-inch print, which will be judged by the public at the opening reception. Cash prizes and ribbons will not be awarded in the SNAPSHOT! Category.
First-, second- and third-place ribbons will be given in each category and classification based on merit and number of entrants. Cash awards for the Adult Classification are $125 for Best of Show, $75 for first runner-up and $50 second runner-up, and cash awards for the Junior Classification are $50 for Best of Show, $30 for first runner-up and $20 second runner-up.
Participants are not required to be Wisconsin residents. For entry forms, photograph and framing details, and additional information, contact the MAC office at (608) 325-5700 or 888-596-1249, or online at monroeartscenter.com.