- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
Aug. 19 deadline for Monroe Arts Center photography contest
Online Staff Report
MONROE, Wis. — Monroe Arts Center (MAC) is focusing on your best shots. Enter your photographs of favorite sites, people, pets, landscapes or wildlife in the 22nd Annual Photography Contest and Exhibit.
Photographs entered in this contest will be on exhibit in MAC Wesley Hall from Sept. 2 through Oct. 14. An opening reception and awards presentation for this exhibit is scheduled for 5-7 p.m., Friday, Sept. 2. Entry fee for this contest is $20 per photographer, and the deadline to enter is Friday, Aug. 19.
The judge for the contest is Seattle photographer Lucien Knuteson. Originally from Monroe, Wis., Lucien is a professional photographer specializing in environmental and conceptual portraits. Some of his clients include Microsoft, US Bank, T-Mobile, Costco, Alaska Airlines and Nordstrom. His exhibit, titled “I Shoot People,” will be on display in MAC Frehner Gallery Sept. 2-Oct. 14.
The contest offers two separate classifications: Junior Classification (ages younger than 18) and Adult Classification. Participants may enter up to two photographs. This year’s contest and exhibit will feature three categories, which are Landscape, Portraits and Unclassified. Participants may enter no more than two categories and a total of two photographs, and must have been taken after Jan. 1, 2010.
A new category in 2011 is SNAPSHOT! An entry fee for this category is not required, and participants are allowed to enter one 4-inch by 6-inch print, which will be judged by the public at the opening reception. Cash prizes and ribbons will not be awarded in the SNAPSHOT! Category.
First-, second- and third-place ribbons will be given in each category and classification based on merit and number of entrants. Cash awards for the Adult Classification are $125 for Best of Show, $75 for first runner-up and $50 second runner-up, and cash awards for the Junior Classification are $50 for Best of Show, $30 for first runner-up and $20 second runner-up.
Participants are not required to be Wisconsin residents. For entry forms, photograph and framing details, and additional information, contact the MAC office at (608) 325-5700 or 888-596-1249, or online at monroeartscenter.com.