- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
- Sharing memories of Ernie Banks
- EarthTalk: What fish can we eat?
- Rock Valley College hosts entrepreneurship event Jan. 30
- Tube Talk: ‘The Americans’ begins third season
- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
30th Annual Polish Fest set for Aug. 21 at St. Stanislaus
The 30th Annual Polish Fest is being held Sunday, Aug. 21, on the St. Stanislaus Church grounds, 201 Buckbee St., Rockford. The public is invited, and entry is free. Easy access is available for the physically handicapped to all areas of the fest, except for the John Paul II Cultural Center and the School Hall.
A Polish/English Mass at 10:15 a.m. at St. Stanislaus Church will open the fest. Activities will take place from 11:30 a.m. until dusk.
Entertainment throughout the day will include two bands: The Julida Boys from West Bend, Wis., and Lombard Band from Lombard, Ill. Also appearing will be the Polonia — Polish Folk Song and Dance Ensemble from Chicago, who will perform at 2, 3 and 4 p.m.
A Polish Sausage and Sauerkraut Dinner will be served from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Other festival-type food will be available, along with ethnic Polish offerings: pierogi, potato pancakes, Polish sausage and sauerkraut, to name just a few. Polish pastries will also be available.
Games for children and adults, including Pull Tabs, bingo and carnival rides (a climbing wall and Mickey Mouse playground) will also be offered. Cash raffles and a basket raffle will be held during the course of the day.
The John Paul II Cultural Center in the former school building will be open for visitors to view two rooms of artifacts from Poland on display.
From the Aug. 17-23, 2011, issue