- TRRT Online Edition | May 6-12
- RRI: The Names frontman Dave Galluzzo
- Madigan sues companies of student loan debt scams
- State Roundup: Gambling expansion hearing highlights two possible bills
- Rauner to Smiddy: No debate for you
- State Roundup: Moody’s: Regardless of reform, Chicago pension will grow for years
- State Roundup: State could see up to $500 million in unexpected revenue for current FY
- Tax revenues up, Rauner to restore $26 million ‘Good Friday’ cuts
- First Friday Lineup: May 1
- State Roundup: Former governor Walker passes away
Angelic Organics Learning Center offers workshops
As the summer comes to a close, people may be looking for last-minute seasonal activities or are planning weekend forays in the fall. Angelic Organics Learning Center (AOLC), just half-an-hour away from Rockford, offers a variety of workshops for kids, families and adults. Here are a few of the programs available:
• Home-Milked Ice Cream offers children and parents the opportunity to milk goats, visit the beehive, and look for wild fruit before making a batch of homemade ice cream. Also available is a similar program called Cornbread From the Ground Up in the fall.
• Animal Day for Families is a truly interactive farm experience that takes families through the daily routine on a fully-functioning farm. There’s also a Family Farm Overnight Camp in September for those who want the 24-hour farm experience.
• For the culinary enthusiasts, AOLC offers a range of “From Field to Kitchen” programs that teach wine making, bread making and other skills. Their favorite is the Cheese Making Workshop, which offers a start-to-finish experience including milking goats and learning how to make cheeses like ricotta and feta. There are also similar courses that teach additional culinary skills such as winemaking and bread making.
• Aspiring farmers and others curious about the ins and outs of maintaining farm animals can enroll in the Count Your Chickens and Get Your Goat programs offered at AOLC. These workshops cover the care of these creatures throughout their entire life cycle. There is also a Farmer Training Program that might interest future farmers.
For more information, contact the Angelic Organics Learning Center at (815) 389-8455 or online at www.learngrowconnect.org.
From the Aug. 17-23, 2011, issue