- 20-year sentence in 2013 homicide
- Parolee arrested after search warrant at RHA property
- Olympic star Michael Phelps arrested on second DUI charge
- Former NIU QB Harnish signed to Vikings practice squad
- Man arrested after ax incident
- The Odds Man: Chicago, Detroit, San Diego good bets in Week 4
- Updated: Roosevelt High School evacuated after bomb threat
- Grand jury: No charges against Tony Stewart
- Laurent House to remain open for tours throughout the year
- Dynamic father-son piano duo at Mendelssohn Sept. 26
Angelic Organics Learning Center offers workshops
As the summer comes to a close, people may be looking for last-minute seasonal activities or are planning weekend forays in the fall. Angelic Organics Learning Center (AOLC), just half-an-hour away from Rockford, offers a variety of workshops for kids, families and adults. Here are a few of the programs available:
• Home-Milked Ice Cream offers children and parents the opportunity to milk goats, visit the beehive, and look for wild fruit before making a batch of homemade ice cream. Also available is a similar program called Cornbread From the Ground Up in the fall.
• Animal Day for Families is a truly interactive farm experience that takes families through the daily routine on a fully-functioning farm. There’s also a Family Farm Overnight Camp in September for those who want the 24-hour farm experience.
• For the culinary enthusiasts, AOLC offers a range of “From Field to Kitchen” programs that teach wine making, bread making and other skills. Their favorite is the Cheese Making Workshop, which offers a start-to-finish experience including milking goats and learning how to make cheeses like ricotta and feta. There are also similar courses that teach additional culinary skills such as winemaking and bread making.
• Aspiring farmers and others curious about the ins and outs of maintaining farm animals can enroll in the Count Your Chickens and Get Your Goat programs offered at AOLC. These workshops cover the care of these creatures throughout their entire life cycle. There is also a Farmer Training Program that might interest future farmers.
For more information, contact the Angelic Organics Learning Center at (815) 389-8455 or online at www.learngrowconnect.org.
From the Aug. 17-23, 2011, issue