- Man sentenced to 12 years in fatal hit-and-run
- White House fence jumper charged with kicking Secret Service dogs
- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
Support CASA as a volunteer
Every year, millions of abused and neglected children have become wards of the court. CASA-15th Judicial Circuit (serving Lee, Ogle and Carroll counties) is a program where volunteers are appointed by the court to represent the child’s best interest in an abuse and/or neglect case. These Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) are trained people from our community who speak for these youngsters.
These children are at risk because of their circumstances, i.e., they are abused and/or neglected. The CASA volunteer provides a judge with carefully researched details about the child to help make a sound decision regarding the child’s future. The CASA volunteer reviews all records pertaining to the child, makes recommendations on placement of the child to the judge and follows through on the case until it is permanently resolved. The volunteer is the one consistent person in all these proceedings and providing continuity for the youngster.
We need volunteers for this program. There is no special experience required to be a CASA volunteer. All one needs is a commitment to children and the desire to help.
The American Bar Association, the National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges and the Office of the Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention of the U.S. Department of Justice have endorsed CASA.
Please think of our children and consider being a CASA volunteer. For more information, please visit our website, www.CASALeeCarroll.com, or call our office at (815) 288-1901.
Ogle County Board Member
CASA Board Member
Lee, Ogle, Carroll counties
From the Aug. 17-23, 2011, issue