- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Support CASA as a volunteer
Every year, millions of abused and neglected children have become wards of the court. CASA-15th Judicial Circuit (serving Lee, Ogle and Carroll counties) is a program where volunteers are appointed by the court to represent the child’s best interest in an abuse and/or neglect case. These Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) are trained people from our community who speak for these youngsters.
These children are at risk because of their circumstances, i.e., they are abused and/or neglected. The CASA volunteer provides a judge with carefully researched details about the child to help make a sound decision regarding the child’s future. The CASA volunteer reviews all records pertaining to the child, makes recommendations on placement of the child to the judge and follows through on the case until it is permanently resolved. The volunteer is the one consistent person in all these proceedings and providing continuity for the youngster.
We need volunteers for this program. There is no special experience required to be a CASA volunteer. All one needs is a commitment to children and the desire to help.
The American Bar Association, the National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges and the Office of the Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention of the U.S. Department of Justice have endorsed CASA.
Please think of our children and consider being a CASA volunteer. For more information, please visit our website, www.CASALeeCarroll.com, or call our office at (815) 288-1901.
Ogle County Board Member
CASA Board Member
Lee, Ogle, Carroll counties
From the Aug. 17-23, 2011, issue