- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Support CASA as a volunteer
Every year, millions of abused and neglected children have become wards of the court. CASA-15th Judicial Circuit (serving Lee, Ogle and Carroll counties) is a program where volunteers are appointed by the court to represent the child’s best interest in an abuse and/or neglect case. These Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) are trained people from our community who speak for these youngsters.
These children are at risk because of their circumstances, i.e., they are abused and/or neglected. The CASA volunteer provides a judge with carefully researched details about the child to help make a sound decision regarding the child’s future. The CASA volunteer reviews all records pertaining to the child, makes recommendations on placement of the child to the judge and follows through on the case until it is permanently resolved. The volunteer is the one consistent person in all these proceedings and providing continuity for the youngster.
We need volunteers for this program. There is no special experience required to be a CASA volunteer. All one needs is a commitment to children and the desire to help.
The American Bar Association, the National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges and the Office of the Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention of the U.S. Department of Justice have endorsed CASA.
Please think of our children and consider being a CASA volunteer. For more information, please visit our website, www.CASALeeCarroll.com, or call our office at (815) 288-1901.
Ogle County Board Member
CASA Board Member
Lee, Ogle, Carroll counties
From the Aug. 17-23, 2011, issue