- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
John Deill, Jim Julin exhibit opens at Rockford Art Museum Aug. 27
A free public opening for Rockford Art Museum’s (RAM) latest exhibit, Rockford Made 4356: Deill/Julin, will be from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 27.
The public opening will include a free gallery walk from 11 a.m. to noon and a free children’s art activity from 11 a.m. to noon. The exhibit will remain on display through Dec. 27.
Born on the same day, in the same year — April 3,1956 — in the same Rockford hospital, Rockford Made 4356 celebrates the creative vision of noted Rockford artists John Deill and Jim Julin.
Recipients of the coveted Jessica Holt Purchase Award, both artists are represented in the RAM Permanent Collection. While Deill is a self-described painter with sculptural tendencies, Julin is a sculptor best known for his monumental work in RAM’s sculpture garden, “The Big Chair.”
Both self-taught artists share a remarkable sensitivity to materials and a keen eye for meticulous craftsmanship. They also have an innate feel for found objects.
Curated by Patty Rhea of RAM, this exhibition is a mid-career look at the thought-provoking work of these two Rockford natives.
RAM is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford.
A Rockford Made teacher workshop will be from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 5. Registration is required by calling (815) 972-2874.
Rockford Made children’s classes will include “Oaxacan Animalitos” from 2 to 4 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 10; “Sock Monkeys … Revamped!” from 2 to 4 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 8; and “Spirit Houses of the Rich & Famous!” from 2 to 4 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 12. Children’s classes are $8 per class or $20 for all three. All supplies are included. Registration is required by calling (815) 972-2874.
Visit rockfordartmuseum.org or call RAM at (815) 968-2787.
From the Aug. 24-30, 2011, issue