- Meet John Doe: Businesses, politicians and gov’t should follow junk email laws
- Entertainment abound for this week’s First Friday
- State Roundup: Special election dates set
- Test drive: the 2015 Ford F-150
- Fracking never on a path to sustainability
- Indiana boxes itself into legal corner
- TRRT April 1-7 | Online Edition
- Guest Commentary: the Rockford Apartment Association
- State Roundup: NIU employee improperly reimbursed $30K
- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
John Deill, Jim Julin exhibit opens at Rockford Art Museum Aug. 27
A free public opening for Rockford Art Museum’s (RAM) latest exhibit, Rockford Made 4356: Deill/Julin, will be from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 27.
The public opening will include a free gallery walk from 11 a.m. to noon and a free children’s art activity from 11 a.m. to noon. The exhibit will remain on display through Dec. 27.
Born on the same day, in the same year — April 3,1956 — in the same Rockford hospital, Rockford Made 4356 celebrates the creative vision of noted Rockford artists John Deill and Jim Julin.
Recipients of the coveted Jessica Holt Purchase Award, both artists are represented in the RAM Permanent Collection. While Deill is a self-described painter with sculptural tendencies, Julin is a sculptor best known for his monumental work in RAM’s sculpture garden, “The Big Chair.”
Both self-taught artists share a remarkable sensitivity to materials and a keen eye for meticulous craftsmanship. They also have an innate feel for found objects.
Curated by Patty Rhea of RAM, this exhibition is a mid-career look at the thought-provoking work of these two Rockford natives.
RAM is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford.
A Rockford Made teacher workshop will be from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 5. Registration is required by calling (815) 972-2874.
Rockford Made children’s classes will include “Oaxacan Animalitos” from 2 to 4 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 10; “Sock Monkeys … Revamped!” from 2 to 4 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 8; and “Spirit Houses of the Rich & Famous!” from 2 to 4 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 12. Children’s classes are $8 per class or $20 for all three. All supplies are included. Registration is required by calling (815) 972-2874.
Visit rockfordartmuseum.org or call RAM at (815) 968-2787.
From the Aug. 24-30, 2011, issue