- FIFA officials arrested, extradition to US on the cards
- TRRT Online Edition | May 27-June 2
- RAA says legal opinion validates ordinance concerns
- Perfect? Not quite, but Wagner’s latest is up to the task
- Democrats readying $36 billion budget
- FIFA adds prison labor to its arsenal
- Sitting on a scoop: the story behind the V-E headlines of May 1945
- Bilderback repeats at Speedway
- US permits Arctic drilling, but questions about safety remain
- ISIS takeover of Ramadi means hard choices face the Iraqi and US governments
President Obama lost like a transient
The recent campaign trip by President Barack Obama at taxpayers’ expense has some parallels with his way of governing and with my recent experience.
I happened to be traveling past both Atkinson and Alpha, Ill., about noon on Aug. 17 on the way to our farm west of Galesburg. I was aware from radio that the president was to campaign at those two sites. I was ahead of his schedule by about an hour. All of the crossovers were blocked for security with highway trucks on Interstate 74 south of Interstate 80, but only up to the Alpha exit Route 17, where the campaign entourage was to exit. I was eating dinner at the farm at 1 p.m. and listening to WGIL Radio from Galesburg give the details of the campaign being lost in Galesburg because they missed the Alpha Route 17 exit. I listened to the radio more for the campaign details after mowing for three hours. The president’s campaign entourage covered the mistaken trip to Galesburg by stopping by the high school to see some sports practicing. They call it an impromptu and an unscheduled stop. They arrived over an hour late in Alpha for the speech.
How can the taxpayers’-supported president’s campaign with 47 security and other vehicles, GPS availability, helicopters, machine guns, snipers, Canadian-built limousine buses and even Air Force One parked at Peoria get lost? The answer is poor or no leadership.
I had the same problem that same day. My hired, homeless transient worker had a seizure fit, and after recovery, he went down the road and got lost.
These events are parallel. President Obama and his inept subordinates and me and my homeless transient worker are in the same category. Did you vote for president? Did your taxes pay for my event?
This was written by Ed Schott at my own expense.
From the Aug. 24-30, 2011, issue