- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
President Obama lost like a transient
The recent campaign trip by President Barack Obama at taxpayers’ expense has some parallels with his way of governing and with my recent experience.
I happened to be traveling past both Atkinson and Alpha, Ill., about noon on Aug. 17 on the way to our farm west of Galesburg. I was aware from radio that the president was to campaign at those two sites. I was ahead of his schedule by about an hour. All of the crossovers were blocked for security with highway trucks on Interstate 74 south of Interstate 80, but only up to the Alpha exit Route 17, where the campaign entourage was to exit. I was eating dinner at the farm at 1 p.m. and listening to WGIL Radio from Galesburg give the details of the campaign being lost in Galesburg because they missed the Alpha Route 17 exit. I listened to the radio more for the campaign details after mowing for three hours. The president’s campaign entourage covered the mistaken trip to Galesburg by stopping by the high school to see some sports practicing. They call it an impromptu and an unscheduled stop. They arrived over an hour late in Alpha for the speech.
How can the taxpayers’-supported president’s campaign with 47 security and other vehicles, GPS availability, helicopters, machine guns, snipers, Canadian-built limousine buses and even Air Force One parked at Peoria get lost? The answer is poor or no leadership.
I had the same problem that same day. My hired, homeless transient worker had a seizure fit, and after recovery, he went down the road and got lost.
These events are parallel. President Obama and his inept subordinates and me and my homeless transient worker are in the same category. Did you vote for president? Did your taxes pay for my event?
This was written by Ed Schott at my own expense.
From the Aug. 24-30, 2011, issue