- White House fence jumper charged with kicking Secret Service dogs
- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
Schroepfer awarded scholarship at SDSU
Michael Schroepfer, of Pecatonica, Ill., was awarded the 3M Scholarship in Mechanical Engineering for the 2011-2012 academic year at South Dakota State University (SDSU).
Schroepfer is a senior majoring in mechanical engineering at SDSU, where he is active in Shotokan Karate, ASME, Tau Beta Pi, Pi Tau Sigma, intramural football and flying. He is the son of Kenneth and Colleen Schroepfer of Pecatonica and is a 2006 home-school graduate.
The Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing plants in Brookings and Aberdeen, S.D., provide the 3M scholarships. The plant in Brookings was the first 3M plant built to specifically manufacture health care products. The assistance from 3M is used to help attract some of the brightest students in the state for college and to assist science education at a time when shortages of sciences graduates are predicted nationwide.
From the Aug. 24-30, 2011, issue