- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Schroepfer awarded scholarship at SDSU
Michael Schroepfer, of Pecatonica, Ill., was awarded the 3M Scholarship in Mechanical Engineering for the 2011-2012 academic year at South Dakota State University (SDSU).
Schroepfer is a senior majoring in mechanical engineering at SDSU, where he is active in Shotokan Karate, ASME, Tau Beta Pi, Pi Tau Sigma, intramural football and flying. He is the son of Kenneth and Colleen Schroepfer of Pecatonica and is a 2006 home-school graduate.
The Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing plants in Brookings and Aberdeen, S.D., provide the 3M scholarships. The plant in Brookings was the first 3M plant built to specifically manufacture health care products. The assistance from 3M is used to help attract some of the brightest students in the state for college and to assist science education at a time when shortages of sciences graduates are predicted nationwide.
From the Aug. 24-30, 2011, issue