- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
- Final City Market of the season Friday, Oct. 17
- Lee Hamilton: Viewing political corruption more broadly
- Rehearsals begin Oct. 19 for 69th presentation of Handel’s ‘Messiah’
- Amenti Haunted House opens Oct. 17 at DeKalb’s Egyptian Theatre
State to offer permanent White Sox license plate; money raised to benefit public schools
Online Staff Report
Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White and the Chicago White Sox recently unveiled the new White Sox permanent Illinois license plate.
The black plate, which features the Sox logo, was on display during a press conference at the James R. Thompson Center. Former Chicago White Sox players Minnie Minoso and Moose Skowron, Senior Director of Community Relations Christine O’Reilly and White Sox mascot Southpaw were present for the unveiling.
“I am proud to make the Chicago White Sox license plates available to the public as a means of showing team spirit and supporting public education across the state,” said White. “With the team in playoff contention, it is a fitting time for motorists to purchase a Sox license plate.”
Twenty-five dollars from each license plate goes to the Professional Sports Teams Education Fund and is earmarked for the Common School Fund, which supports public schools throughout the state of Illinois.
“We are thrilled that White Sox fans have another way to show their support for the team,” said O’Reilly. “And in doing so, they can contribute to a great cause and help education programs in Illinois.”
Public Act 095-0331, enacted in 2002, allows for Illinois sports teams to have license plates designated as Professional Sports Teams license plates. The Chicago White Sox are the fifth sports team in the state to take advantage of the law.
The public can preorder the license plates by visiting www.cyberdriveillinois.com. Fans can order random number, personalized or vanity plates. The cost to purchase a random number Sox plate for a currently titled vehicle with valid Illinois registration is $69. Pricing varies for vanity and personalized license plates.