- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
More than 100 beers featured at Sept. 10 Screw City Beer Festival in downtown Rockford
Online Staff Report
Craft beer lovers will have the chance to try some fresh brews when a new festival kicks off this fall. The Screw City Beer Festival hits the streets in the heart of Rockford featuring craft beer from local, regional and national breweries. The event will feature breweries from Michigan, Wisconsin, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Colorado, California and Oregon. More than 100 beers from 25 breweries will be served.
The event will be from 1 to 6 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 10. It will be centered at the intersection of State and Main streets in downtown Rockford, and will extend one block south and east.
Event organizer Aaron Sleger explained: “Beer festivals have been happening for years in the Chicago, Madison and Milwaukee areas to great success, and we thought there was every reason for Rockford to have one: great local restaurants, bars and retails shops that sell great craft beer, a local home brewers club and a local brewery. All these contribute to a very dedicated niche beer drinking market in Rockford.
“We hope that Screw City Beer Festival will gain the support of the community and become a valuable asset in not only getting people downtown, but getting people to come to Rockford for a day of quality, hand-crafted beer,” Sleger added.
Only 1,500 tickets will be sold for this event. You must have a valid ID and be 21 years old or older to enter. General admission tickets are $25 and include a 5-ounce plastic pilsner tasting cup, event guide and 25 drink tickets. VIP are $50 and include a 5-ounce tasting glass, VIP hour from noon to 1 p.m. with special releases, 30 drink tickets, event guide and Screw City Beer Festival T-shirt. VIP tickets must be purchased in advance and will not be available at the gate.
Designated drivers get into the festival for free. Tickets can be purchased online at http://screwcitybeerfest.com/ or at Kryptonite Music Lounge, Artale Wine Co., and The Olympic Tavern.
The name Screw City Beer Festival pays tribute to the region’s storied industrial manufacturing history by incorporating Rockford’s former role as the “Screw Capital” of the country. While this is the first year for the event, organizers believe it will grow on an annual basis and attract regional attention.