- Omnibus police reform bill passes House
- Senate refuses Rauner on lawsuits, property taxes
- Hastert indicted on federal charges
- State Roundup: Worker’s Comp proposal fails to make it out of committee
- Water advocates, Illinois businesses applaud release of EPA’s Clean Water Rule
- Renewable energy gains market share
- 13 arrested in FIFA probe
- Rockford Rocked Interview with Paul Bronson
- State Roundup: House passes youth concussion legislation
- Moving out
Auburn students to participate in U.S. Army Recruiting Battalion health and fitness event Sept. 13
Online Staff Report
Rockford Auburn High School students will participate in an interactive fitness event run by the U.S. Army Recruiting Battalion of Milwaukee from 9:20 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 13.
Students will encounter professionals who embrace health and fitness as a way of life.
Engaging activities include physical fitness and mental challenges; team-building exercises and leadership development; motivational presentations by drill sergeants; demonstrations by wrestlers from the World Class Athlete Program; educational activities from a combat support hospital unit; and fitness exhibitions from a local agency.
“This fitness promotion is a major undertaking comitted toward a single school,” said Lt. Col. Frank O’Donnell, battalion commander. “Yet, we are compelled to address the increased obesity rates among our nation’s youth.
“One in five youth 12 to 19 years old is currently overweight, compared to one in 20 in the 1960s,” O’Donnell added. “Changing the course of that tide begins at the community level with a high-impact event to promote health and fitness.”
Through personal interaction with those whose profession is anchored in health, fitness and strength, the students of Auburn High School will have a vision for which to strive.
“Motivation is what our youth need and Soldiers are America’s greatest source of strength and motivation,” O’Donnell said. “We are here to serve the youth for a better future.”
The teams supporting the Pathway to Success campaign are living examples and professionals who embody health, fitness and strength.
Auburn High School is at 5110 Auburn St., Rockford.