- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
- Forest-preserve sex sting nets 10
- Armed robbery reported at Machesney Park CVS
- Lee Hamilton: President, Congress should work together on military intervention
- Ethnic Parade and Festival Sunday, Sept. 21
- Symphony begins 80th season Sept. 20
- Vikings bar Adrian Peterson from team activities
- Mr. Green Car: A car from your printer
Auburn students to participate in U.S. Army Recruiting Battalion health and fitness event Sept. 13
Online Staff Report
Rockford Auburn High School students will participate in an interactive fitness event run by the U.S. Army Recruiting Battalion of Milwaukee from 9:20 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 13.
Students will encounter professionals who embrace health and fitness as a way of life.
Engaging activities include physical fitness and mental challenges; team-building exercises and leadership development; motivational presentations by drill sergeants; demonstrations by wrestlers from the World Class Athlete Program; educational activities from a combat support hospital unit; and fitness exhibitions from a local agency.
“This fitness promotion is a major undertaking comitted toward a single school,” said Lt. Col. Frank O’Donnell, battalion commander. “Yet, we are compelled to address the increased obesity rates among our nation’s youth.
“One in five youth 12 to 19 years old is currently overweight, compared to one in 20 in the 1960s,” O’Donnell added. “Changing the course of that tide begins at the community level with a high-impact event to promote health and fitness.”
Through personal interaction with those whose profession is anchored in health, fitness and strength, the students of Auburn High School will have a vision for which to strive.
“Motivation is what our youth need and Soldiers are America’s greatest source of strength and motivation,” O’Donnell said. “We are here to serve the youth for a better future.”
The teams supporting the Pathway to Success campaign are living examples and professionals who embody health, fitness and strength.
Auburn High School is at 5110 Auburn St., Rockford.