Sponsored by the OSF Saint Anthony pediatrics, trauma/emergency services and Lifeline departments, the 10th Annual Children’s Health and Safety Safari will be from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 17, on the campus of OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center.
The event is free and open to the community. A few of the highlights include the following:
• “Furry Critters” Clinic — children can select a free stuffed animal and go through a pretend health care clinic with their new little friend.
• Demonstrations of fitness classes, including Sh’bam, Zumba and yoga
• Medical imaging: How doctors see what’s wrong
• Information about water safety, eye safety, backpack safety, medication safety
• Dental hygiene
• Information about burn and fire prevention; train safety
• Pain management and how to help your child when he or she is in pain
• A child safety car seat inspection will be available from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the State & Roxbury Center in front of the Medical Center
Activities at the booths include tattoo “stitches”; demonstrations of look-alike poisons, a “glow-germ” demonstration before and after hand-washing; and viewing Lifeline Emergency Helicopter and Ambulance.
The Rockford Fire Department will bring the “Safety House” and a fire truck to the event. The Winnebago County Sheriff’s Department will offer information about “Stranger Danger,” and the Farm Bureau will highlight snowmobile safety. The Winnebago County Health Department will offer vision screenings for children. The Rockford Park District, Blackhawk Bicycle Club and the YWCA will also have information about their programs.
A highlight of the Health and Safety Safari is the appearance by Troo, the OSF Traumaroo, mascot for the program sponsored by the Trauma Department that emphasizes bicycle safety, home safety, car passenger safety, health safety and playground safety.
Free cholesterol and glucose health screenings for adults will be offered. The event and all activities are free. For more information, call (815) 227-2055.
From the Sept. 14-20, 2011, issue