- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Prep Golf: New Trier wins Fowler Invitational, Hononegah leads NIC-10 field
By Matt Nestor
Prep Sports Reporter
It was not a NIC-10 conference meet at the Brad Fowler Invitational Golf Tournament at Aldeen Golf Course, hosted by Rockford East, but each team in the conference was represented in the meet Sept. 10.
While New Trier came in to win, and the top area team was fourth, Rockton Hononegah continued to use its depth to keep itself ahead of the field in the NIC-10.
The Indians, thus far, have had the top team in the NIC-10, and that continued at the Fowler Invite with their top four players finishing in the top 29 spots in a field of 104 golfers.
Connor Nelson led the way for Hononegah with a second-place finish, scoring a 73. Colin Huebschen chipped in with an 83, while Brad Neumer and Tyler Gilliam finished with an 84.
Returning conference champ Robert Dofflemyer of Belvidere did get a leg up on Nelson in their head-to-head play, coming in with the top individual score at 72.
Boylan, who many considered the conference favorite coming into the season, finished six shots behind Hononegah. Luke Gaffney led the way for the Titans with an 80, while Dan Gorman shot an 81, Peter Schmeling shot an 84, and Paul Burd shot an 85.
Patipan Pipatpinyopong of Machesney Park Harlem finished fourth with a score of 74. His teammate, Jacob Phelps, was four shots behind at 78. Host school East, had the highlight of the day as Justin Lee of the E-Rabs knocked in a hole-in-one on the eighth hole.
From the Sept. 14-20, 2011, issue