- 20th Annual Honor the Mounds set for Saturday
- Cubs offense returns in sweep of Milwaukee
- TRRT Online Edition | Aug. 5-11
- NWS: Thunderstorms expected Sunday night
- McKellen’s Mr. Holmes a satisfactory conclusion
- Rockford visitor spending jumps
- The misguided Cecil the lion debate
- State, union extend contract again
- Willow Creek left in the dust by development
- CUB helps residents find best deal
Prep Golf: New Trier wins Fowler Invitational, Hononegah leads NIC-10 field
By Matt Nestor
Prep Sports Reporter
It was not a NIC-10 conference meet at the Brad Fowler Invitational Golf Tournament at Aldeen Golf Course, hosted by Rockford East, but each team in the conference was represented in the meet Sept. 10.
While New Trier came in to win, and the top area team was fourth, Rockton Hononegah continued to use its depth to keep itself ahead of the field in the NIC-10.
The Indians, thus far, have had the top team in the NIC-10, and that continued at the Fowler Invite with their top four players finishing in the top 29 spots in a field of 104 golfers.
Connor Nelson led the way for Hononegah with a second-place finish, scoring a 73. Colin Huebschen chipped in with an 83, while Brad Neumer and Tyler Gilliam finished with an 84.
Returning conference champ Robert Dofflemyer of Belvidere did get a leg up on Nelson in their head-to-head play, coming in with the top individual score at 72.
Boylan, who many considered the conference favorite coming into the season, finished six shots behind Hononegah. Luke Gaffney led the way for the Titans with an 80, while Dan Gorman shot an 81, Peter Schmeling shot an 84, and Paul Burd shot an 85.
Patipan Pipatpinyopong of Machesney Park Harlem finished fourth with a score of 74. His teammate, Jacob Phelps, was four shots behind at 78. Host school East, had the highlight of the day as Justin Lee of the E-Rabs knocked in a hole-in-one on the eighth hole.
From the Sept. 14-20, 2011, issue