- Nov. 4 General Election Endorsements: Re-elect Jesse White
- Nov. 4 General Election Endorsements: Elect Sheila Simons as state comptroller
- Brad Roos to step down as Zion Development executive director
- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
- Freshmen in Rockford schools beat state average in ‘on track’ to graduate
Skating: Rockford Skating Club wins bronze medal
The Rockford Skating Club’s Theatre on Ice ensemble earned a bronze medal at the National Showcase Competition in Theatrical Skating, held Aug. 4-6. This was a USFSA national competition held in the Hoover Arena in Strongsville, Ohio.
Theatrical Skating combines artistic creativity with figure skating for single skaters, duets, small ensembles of three to seven and production numbers of eight to 30.
The Rockford team skated to musical accompaniment of “The Nutcracker.” Team members were Delaney Anderson, Madeleine Felder, Natalie Felder, Amy Frew, Emily Johnson, Hannah Menge, Sowmya Monroe, Taylor Ritchie, Annabelle Stefanic, Hannah Taylor and Karlie Taylor. The ensemble was coached by Brigitte Carlson Roquet and included local figure skaters, two of whom qualified for the final round in their single performance. The local skaters practice at the Riverview Ice House and the Carlson Arctic Ice Arena.
The two Rockford skaters who made the Solo Finals were Taylor Ritchie in Pre-Juvenile Light Entertainment (fourth in Finals and second Silver in Group B) and Madeleine Felder in Teen Light Entertainment (sixth in Finals and third Bronze in Group B).
Other credits earned by Rockford skaters were: Hannah Menge in Teen Light Entertainment (fourth in Group A); Delaney Anderson in Teen Entertainment (sixth in Group A); Annabelle Stefanic in Preliminary Light Entertainment (13th in Group B); and Madeline Felder and Amy Frew in Teen Duet (fifth in Group).
Coach Brigitte Roquet said: “It was our first experience [at the competition]. It was especially exciting since we played so well.”
From the Sept. 14-20, 2011, issue