- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
Tinker exhibit opens at Burpee Museum Sept. 23
PAST/Forward: The Art of Place, Space and Imagination Tinker Juried Art Exhibit will run from Sept. 23 to Oct. 30 in the Mahlburg Gallery at the Burpee Museum of Natural History, 737 N. Main St., Rockford.
This first-ever event for Tinker features artists’ work in two- and three-dimensional media and photography.
Artists working since late May have submitted work that has either been inspired by the site, structure and archives of Tinker Swiss Cottage Museum and Gardens, or that has a historical connection to the Victorian era.
This exhibit celebrates Robert Tinker’s creative genius and the legacy he left to the citizens of Rockford. To allow artists to fully explore the subject, Tinker Swiss Cottage Museum and Gardens offered unique access to its archival photographs, incomparable collection and interior architectural spaces; as well as the exterior architecture, landscape and gardens — all in the hope that artists today would find inspiration for their own artistic expression.
The art exhibit includes both professional and amateur artists whose work has been judged on its own merits. The Best of Show Willard Dorr Memorial Cash Award is $500; the Second Place Photography Cash Award is $250; the Second Place Fine Arts Cash Award is $250; and the Third Place Cash Award is $100. Awards will be announced at 8 p.m. Judges are Michelle Dorr, John Verl McNamara and Tom Clabough.
The exhibit opens at 7 p.m., Friday, Sept. 23, at the Burpee Museum of Natural History’s Mahlburg Gallery. The public is invited to view the exhibit and cast their vote for the People’s Choice Award. The People’s Choice Cash Award is $100 and will be announced at 8:30 p.m. that night. For more information, call the Tinker office at (815) 964-2424, e-mail Steve@tinkercottage.com or go to www.tinkercottage.com.
From the Sept. 21-27, 2011, issue