- The Odds Man: NFL QBs holding up Vegas in Week 9
- Murder charges filed in crash that killed Rockford attorney
- General Election Endorsements: Re-elect Madigan, Kinzinger
- IceHogs squeak by Grand Rapids behind strong Leighton showing
- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
World War II Days Sept. 24-25 at Midway Village
Midway Village Museum will present World War II Days from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 24, and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Sunday, Sept. 25.
More than 900 World War II re-enactors will provide demonstrations, skirmishes in the 13-acre historical village, build dug outs and encampments in the woods, and meet and greet visitors while showcasing authentic artifacts and engaging visitors with history.
Admission is $10 adults, $5 children 3-17, and free for World War II veterans and Midway Village Museum members. Two-day event passes are $18 for adults, $8 for children 3-17.
Visit www.midwayvillage.com or call the museum at (815) 397-9112. Midway Village Museum is at 6799 Guilford Road, Rockford.
Following are features of the two-day event:
• Narrated battles with pyrotechnics both days — Saturday, the battle shows are featured at 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. Sunday, the battle time is 2:30 p.m.
• Elaborate displays with the majority of historical buildings on the museum property
• Encampments of Allied and Axis troops in the Midway Village woods and realistic skirmishes
• Pacific Theater battles in the woods with soldiers dressed as U.S. Marines and Japanese infantry
• German cavalry scenes
• A free USO-style dance Saturday night
• Soldiers’ base camps filled with period vehicles, tents and artifacts
• Shop for World War II memorabilia from numerous vendors
• Purchase quality food and snacks from Burritt’s Meat Products of Rockford
Sneak preview Sept. 23
Friday, Sept. 23, get an evening sneak preview of the event from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
The tour begins with a live theatrical presentation of “The Greatest Generation,” stories of real World War II veterans woven together with music and slides by the drama classes at Keith Country Day School in Rockford.
Next, a World War II soldier re-enactor will lead you on a personalized tour of the buildings and encampments in the Midway Village Museum village and woods. Talk to the soldiers representing various nations and experience the atmosphere of the times.
The tour cost is $15 per person. Space is limited, and reservations are required. Call Jessica MacDonald at (815) 397-9112, ext. 104, for details and to make a reservation.
From the Sept. 21-27, 2011, issue