- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
- Woman gets 10 years for 2013 involuntary manslaughter
- Secretary of State Police to target abuse of disability parking on Black Friday
- Illinois Commerce Commission approves 500-mile direct-current electric wind power line
- Meet John Doe: Rockford could benefit from the new Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute in Chicago
- Tech-Friendly: Surface Pro 3 ad comparing it to MacBook Air is a joke
- Chicago restaurateur Billy Lawless to introduce Obama during immigration speech in Chicago
- Travel Wisconsin Snow Conditions Report assists snow seekers
World War II Days Sept. 24-25 at Midway Village
Midway Village Museum will present World War II Days from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 24, and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Sunday, Sept. 25.
More than 900 World War II re-enactors will provide demonstrations, skirmishes in the 13-acre historical village, build dug outs and encampments in the woods, and meet and greet visitors while showcasing authentic artifacts and engaging visitors with history.
Admission is $10 adults, $5 children 3-17, and free for World War II veterans and Midway Village Museum members. Two-day event passes are $18 for adults, $8 for children 3-17.
Visit www.midwayvillage.com or call the museum at (815) 397-9112. Midway Village Museum is at 6799 Guilford Road, Rockford.
Following are features of the two-day event:
• Narrated battles with pyrotechnics both days — Saturday, the battle shows are featured at 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. Sunday, the battle time is 2:30 p.m.
• Elaborate displays with the majority of historical buildings on the museum property
• Encampments of Allied and Axis troops in the Midway Village woods and realistic skirmishes
• Pacific Theater battles in the woods with soldiers dressed as U.S. Marines and Japanese infantry
• German cavalry scenes
• A free USO-style dance Saturday night
• Soldiers’ base camps filled with period vehicles, tents and artifacts
• Shop for World War II memorabilia from numerous vendors
• Purchase quality food and snacks from Burritt’s Meat Products of Rockford
Sneak preview Sept. 23
Friday, Sept. 23, get an evening sneak preview of the event from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
The tour begins with a live theatrical presentation of “The Greatest Generation,” stories of real World War II veterans woven together with music and slides by the drama classes at Keith Country Day School in Rockford.
Next, a World War II soldier re-enactor will lead you on a personalized tour of the buildings and encampments in the Midway Village Museum village and woods. Talk to the soldiers representing various nations and experience the atmosphere of the times.
The tour cost is $15 per person. Space is limited, and reservations are required. Call Jessica MacDonald at (815) 397-9112, ext. 104, for details and to make a reservation.
From the Sept. 21-27, 2011, issue