- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
- 11 public housing residents complete job readiness training
- Youth health care enrollment event at NIU Rockford Jan. 29
- More than 50 employers at Jan. 29 job fair
- School district’s credit rating remains solid
- State Police seize LSD, cannabis, U.S. currency in I-80 arrest
- Park District names employee, team of the year
- A closer look at fracking for natural gas
- Susan Johnson, copy editor, moves on after 21 years
- Guest Column: Clean Water Act: Supporters of clean water must make their voices heard
CANCELED: Local author Kimberla Lawson Roby featured at Sept. 29 Womanspace event; register by Sept. 27
Editor’s note: Womanspace announced Sept. 28: “We regret to announce that Book Event: Kimberla Lawson Roby ‘Secret Obsession’ scheduled for tomorrow evening [Sept. 29] has been canceled due to low registration. Please remove it from your community calendars.”
Online Staff Report
Womanspace will host a special public book event with local author Kimberla Lawson Roby from 7 to 8:30 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 29.
The event will be in the Fountain View Room at Womanspace, 3333 Maria Linden Drive, Rockford. Cost is $12 for the public, $10 for members. Roby’s books will be available for purchase at the event.
In the tradition of her winning formula for writing compelling stories centering on real-life issues, Roby, a New York Times bestselling author, returns with an absorbing new read, Secret Obsession. This is Roby’s third novella and the 16th title in 15 years in publishing.
At the Sept. 29 event, hear Roby read from her latest book, released Sept. 6. She will discuss issues in the book, such as the impact family secrets can have when they’re left to linger, sibling rivalry, living in a sibling’s shadow, the consequences of betrayal and deception, and making marriage work. Roby will also do a book signing.
Roby is the author of several acclaimed works, and her 13th book and second novella, A Deep Dark Secret, was the Essence Book Club Recommended Read by Essence magazine for November 2009. She received the Female Author of the Year Award from the African-American Literary Award Show in 2010, 2009, 2007 and 2006. Among other honors, she also received the 1998 First-Time Author Award from Chicago’s Black History Month Book Fair and Conference. Roby is a long-time member of the Advisory Council of Womanspace.