- Man sentenced to 12 years in fatal hit-and-run
- White House fence jumper charged with kicking Secret Service dogs
- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
Deadline Oct. 14 for Miss Oktoberfest applicants
The German Society of Rockford is accepting applications for young women interested in competing for the crown of Miss Oktoberfest.
The Miss Oktoberfest Pageant will be from 7 to 8 p.m., Friday, Oct. 21, immediately following the opening ceremonies at the 47th Annual Oktoberfest Celebration.
The Miss Oktoberfest Pageant gives young women a chance to win scholarships for their education. Scholarships will be given to the top four contestants. Third and fourth runners-up receive a $50 scholarship each; second runner-up receives a $100 scholarship; and the winner of the Miss Oktoberfest Pageant receives a $300 scholarship.
Contestants and their immediate families will receive free admission to the festival.
Miss Oktoberfest is open to all unmarried women who are 16 or older by Oct. 20, are attending high school or college, are of German descent or interested in the preservation of the German culture, and show an interest in upholding the requirements of the crown for the 2011-2012 year.
The crowned Miss Oktoberfest will represent the German Society of Rockford at their annual events, be their media representative for radio and television, and make an appearance at the 2012 Oktoberfest to pass on her crown.
Applications are due no later than Oct. 14, and can be downloaded on the Oktoberfest website at www.germanoktoberfest.org, or call German Society President Toni Beck at (815) 877-4156.
The 47th Annual Oktoberfest Celebration, a tradition of the German culture and the longest-standing ethnic festival in the area, takes place Oct. 21-22 at Loves Park City Hall. Advance tickets are $5 for the entire festival, or $5 a day at the door. VIP Party Packs, which allow a more personalized and unique way to enjoy the festival, are available for $35 per person. Tickets are available at Der Rathskeller, Rascal’s Bar and the Rockton Chamber of Commerce. Loves Park City Hall is at 100 Heart Blvd., Loves Park.
From the Sept. 28-Oct. 4, 2011, issue