Greenways, health and education featured at Oct. 3 meeting; RSVP by Sept. 29
Greater RMAP Environmental Education Network (GREEN) is creating a Strategy Action Plan meeting, hosted by Rockford Metropolitan Agency for Planning (RMAP) and Rockford Health Council (RHC), from 6:30 to 9 p.m., Monday, Oct. 3.
The meeting will be at the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Rockford, 1601 Parkview Ave. Enter at the east-side entrance and RSVP to RMAP’s Christina Washington at email@example.com by Sept. 29.
As part of the GREEN Strategy Action Plan, this workshop is planned to bring together representatives from the health care, environmental and education communities in a participatory workshop.
Greenway plans traditionally are used primarily in local and regional planning efforts; there is the potential for greater benefit from the RMAP Greenways Plan and ongoing sustainability initiative to engage health care and educational institutions to help implement the plan and raise awareness about the resulting benefits to health, learning, the local economy and the overall quality of life.
RHC just completed a 2010 Healthy Community Study. They currently are prioritizing recommendations from this study for future consideration and action. This initial workshop will provide direction for both RMAP and RHC.
• Create synergy between health care, environmental, education, and planning efforts in the region
• Raise awareness about how the health care and education communities can benefit from supporting regional greenway, environmental and sustainability planning
• Showcase how health care and educational institutions can support and promote active and healthy living by participating in the regional and local planning processes
• 6:30-6:45 p.m. — WELCOME/CHECK-IN: As people arrive, they will be checked in, fill out a name tag, and see versions of the 2011 Greenway Plan with the map posted in the room.
• 6:45-7 p.m. — INTRODUCTION BY RMAP & RHC: Introduce workshop facilitators; participants introduce themselves, and review workshop objectives and agenda.
• 7-7:30 p.m. — BACKGROUND: Introduce and explain the role of RMAP; discuss the 2011 Regional Greenways Plan and the GREEN Strategy Action Plan for RMAP; present recommendations from the RHC 2011 Healthy Community Study that relate to RMAP Greenway Plan and Strategy Action Plan; explain the RMAP effort to develop a Regional Plan for Sustainable Development (RPSD); and summarize how these efforts are tied together.
• 7:30-8:25p.m. — SMALL GROUPS BRAINSTORMING/DISCUSSION: Develop a list of ways that health care and educational institutions and the people they serve can benefit from a regional greenway network as envisioned in the Greenways Plan; develop a list of ways that (1) health care and educational institutions can help support and implement the Greenways Plan and (2) RMAP can support RHC health care issues to improve the quality of life.
• 8:25-8:50p.m. — SMALL GROUP FEEDBACK REPORTS AND DISCUSSIONS: Categorize the list of health care/education, environmental and planning initiatives developed in the brainstorming session.
• 8:50-9p.m. — WRAP-UP: Concluding remarks and feedback.
From the Sept. 28-Oct. 4, 2011, issue
Print This Article