- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
Mark Baldin on trumpet Oct. 2 at St. Mark Lutheran Church
St. Mark Lutheran Church will present a guest musician, Mark Baldin, who will give a concert on trumpet at 7 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 2, at the church, 675 N. Mulford Road, Rockford.
Baldin joined the Rockford Symphony Orchestra in 1980 and has held the position of Principal Trumpet since 1984. He has frequently soloed with the orchestra and served as narrator, joke-teller and master of ceremonies. He also plays Principal Trumpet with the Wheaton Symphony, the Mendelssohn Chamber Orchestra and the Rockford Wind Ensemble, and has performed with the Lyric Opera of Chicago and the Grant Park Symphony. Besides his work in symphonic venues, Baldin also performs in other musical genres such as big band, Dixieland jazz, brass quintets, musical theater and brass bands. In 2009, he premiered A Concerto for Trumpet by Illinois composer Mark Lathan with the RSO, which he also performed with the Champaign-Urbana Symphony. He also maintains a teaching studio of 30 to 40 students ranging in age from 9 to 72.
Baldin will be accompanied by Jon Warfel on piano. Warfel is an active piano soloist and an accompanist. He earned an M.M. in Piano Performance from Northern Illinois University, and continued his studies at Northwestern University, participating in Master Classes at the Ravinia Music Festival. In 1992, he was chosen Outstanding Young Alumnus of NIU. Warfel has appeared as soloist with the Grant Park Orchestra, Orchestra of Illinois, Fox Valley Symphony and Illinois Chamber Symphony. A member of the Buffalo Shufflers, a “Roaring ‘20’s” show band, he has appeared in Pops concerts with orchestras throughout the United States.
This concert is open to the public. A free-will offering will be received.
From the Sept. 28-Oct. 4, 2011, issue