- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Midwest Museum of Natural History explores South America Sept. 29
SYCAMORE, Ill. — South America: packed with lush tropical rainforests, monkeys, parrots and exotic flowers, right? That’s true, but there’s much more to this amazing continent!
Join the Midwest Museum of Natural History in Sycamore, Ill., from 7 to 8 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 28, for a presentation by Professor Peter Meserve of Northern Illinois University. Meserve will discuss the other side of South America.
Cost is $5 per person for museum members and students, $7 per person for non-members. Fee includes museum admission. The museum will be open at 6 p.m. No registration is required.
Meserve spent years in lesser-known regions of South America researching, traveling and experiencing some of the continent’s most remarkable natural wonders and anthropologic sites, including Iguazu Falls, Machu Picchu, and the volcanoes and glaciers of the southern Andes.
Through thorny scrublands and arid mountaintops, Meserve studied the ecology of the area, specializing in small mammals, birds and plants.
Meserve will discuss his research and unique experiences during his career in South America, from rodent populations to political upheaval — not to mention a 7,000-mile road trip. This presentation is designed for ages junior high to adult. All proceeds benefit the museum.
Midwest Museum of Natural History, a nonprofit organization, is at 425 W. State St., Sycamore, Ill. Call (815) 895-9777 or visit www.mmnh.org for details.
From the Sept. 28-Oct. 4, 2011, issue