- Water advocates, Illinois businesses applaud release of EPA’s Clean Water Rule
- Renewable energy gains market share
- 13 arrested in FIFA probe
- Rockford Rocked Interview with Paul Bronson
- State Roundup: House passes youth concussion legislation
- Moving out
- Illinois’ guaranteed-tuition law making college less affordable
- ‘Ex Machina’ a pick for awards season
- FIFA officials arrested, extradition to US on the cards
- TRRT Online Edition | May 27-June 2
Poet/songwriter performs lunchtime show Sept. 29 at Katie’s Cup
Online Staff Report
Lancaster, Pa., native poet and songwriter Jessica Smucker will perform a lunchtime show from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 29, at Katie’s Cup, 502 Seventh St., Rockford.
Smucker’s songs have been described as “a real treat for the serious listener” (Lynn Royer, New Threads), mixing pop-friendly melodies with smart, evocative lyrics.
“At times lilting, shuffling, uplifting and melancholic,” writes Fly magazine, “the music is also characterized by a certain menacing factor, something sinister lurking just under the surface, like swallowed anger.”
This Broken Moment, the most recent of Smucker’s three albums, was recorded with her band, The Sleeping World, and released in October 2010. In March 2010, she released a solo EP, Reluctantly Yours. The Sleeping World released a self-titled EP in 2008. All three recordings are available on iTunes and CDBaby.com.
In the four years since she started working as a musician, Smucker has garnered numerous honors, including first place in the 2010 SolarFest songwriting contest (Tinmouth, Vt.) and second place in the 2010 Susquehanna Music and Arts Festival songwriting contest (Havre de Grace, Md.). She was a finalist in the 2010 Indiegrrl songwriting contest. Her poems and essays have been published in turnrow, The Spoon River Poetry Review, Potomac Review, The Dirty Goat, The Mennonite and A Cappella: Mennonite Voices in Poetry (University of Iowa Press, 2003).
During this two-week Midwest tour, Smucker will make additional stops in Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan and western Pennsylvania.
For more about Smucker’s music, visit www.jessicasmucker.com.