- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Orchard Hills Landfill to host open house Oct. 8
Online Staff Report
DAVIS JUNCTION, Ill. — Residents of Winnebago, Ogle and Boone counties can see where their trash goes and the amazing science behind landfills at Veolia Environmental Services Orchard Hills Landfill Open House, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 8. The landfill is at 8290 Highway 251 South, Davis Junction.
The Orchard Hills Landfill Open House will include bus tours of the facility; displays of the landfill liner, gas collection, final capping and other areas; raffle prizes; face painting and activities for children; trucks and other equipment on display; and free lunch.
“We are proud of the job that we are doing here, and we want to share it with the community,” said Bruce Knapp, general manager of the Orchard Hills Landfill. “We will have educational opportunities on what is done at a landfill, how it’s done, why it’s done – a process that most people take for granted once they place their trash in a trash ca.”
Though people may forget about their trash as soon as they put it in a garbage can, those who are interested can learn the process for handling solid waste. The event is free and open to the public. Tours of the facility will also include information about the landfill’s plan for a gas-to-energy plant.