- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Holistic Moms Network welcomes acupuncturist Oct. 19
The Holistic Moms Network, Rockford Chapter, welcomes renowned acupuncturist and herbalist Karen Dodson, who will speak from 7 to 9 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 19, at JustGoods, 201 Seventh St., Rockford. She will introduce the topic of acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine as an effective method of treating a range of ailments specific to women.
Along with restoring calm and reducing stress, acupuncture can help with female imbalances such as PMS, menstrual irregularities and obstetric concerns. It is useful for anxiety, tense muscles, pain, sinus and digestive problems and even for beauty.
Women who have families are one of the primary role models for their children. It is common for women and mothers to get so absorbed in their work, they often forget to care for themselves. Yet, as women get older, they are reminded through specific symptoms that they need to take time to maintain their own sense of balance and wellness. This discussion will emphasize what women can do to improve their lives physically, emotionally and mentally.
An acupuncture demonstration, handouts, and time for questions and answers following the program will be included.
Dodson received her undergraduate degree from the University of Chicago and master’s in acupuncture from the Midwest College of Oriental Medicine. She continued post-graduate diagnostic training with Dr. Leon Hammer, M.D., completing the Master Class in Contemporary Pulse Diagnosis. She also has a two-year advanced herbal training certification from the Institute of Chinese Herbology and is a Certified Herbalist and Diplomat of Oriental Medicine with the NCCAOM. Dodson has extensive experience with herbs, working since 1979 as a horticulturist, compounder and medical herbalist. She teaches a number of courses and seminars on acupuncture, herbs and women’s health. She has her own practice at the Midwest Acupuncture and Pain Treatment Center in Beloit, Wis. Phone number is (608) 365-6771, or go online at paintreatmentcenter.net.
The Rockford, Chapter of Holistic Moms Network is a support, education and social network for parents interested in green living, alternative health care, and gentle, responsive parenting. They welcome moms and dads with children of any age, and future parents as well. The Network has events and activities for both working and stay-at-home parents. Children are welcome at all HMN events. For more information, e-mail email@example.com.
From the Oct. 12-18, 2011, issue