- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Sounds from the Sanctuary series kicks off Oct. 16
First Lutheran Church, 225 S. Third St., has announced its inaugural concert season featuring exciting, eclectic Sounds from the Sanctuary.
The season begins at 3 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 16, with Brahms X Three. The concert features three gorgeous chamber pieces by Brahms performed by three wonderful friends: Rachel Handlin, violin; Jesse Parker, piano; and Becky Asher, French horn. The concert is free and open to the public. A freewill offering will be received.
Handlin, the String Program director and private violin/viola instructor at the Music Academy of Rockford, serves as assistant concertmaster of the Rockford Symphony Orchestra (RSO), concertmaster of the Mendelssohn Chamber Orchestra and principal second of the Woodstock Mozart Festival.
Asher has played principal horn in the RSO since 1985 while also performing with the Dubuque, Elgin and Kishwaukee symphonies.
As a recitalist, Parker has performed extensively as soloist and chamber musician. In recent times, he has given “informances” on the vast repertoire of transcriptions written for the piano, including a recent performance at Alfred University in New York.
Other concerts in the series include The Windswept Quintet wind ensemble Sunday, Nov. 6; exciting young organist Christopher Houlihan Sunday, March 25; and accordion and vocal duo Bernadette Zabawa and Timothy Borden Sunday, April 29.
First Lutheran, corner of Third and Oak streets, is in the heart of Rockford’s historic Haight Village. A large parking lot sits adjacent to the church. Street parking and nearby public lots are also available. First Lutheran is handicap accessible.
Call (815) 962-6691 for more details.
From the Oct. 12-18, 2011, issue