- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
- Nov. 2 concert celebrates release of Jodi Beach’s sixth recording
- Healthy Halloween Party Nov. 1 at U of I College of Medicine at Rockford
- Three local NFL Flag Football teams head to regional competition
- ‘Hoo’ Haven hosts annual open house Nov. 2 in Durand
Throwing away our money on government spending
A $447 billion jobs bill and $787 billion in stimulus has or will be spent to deal with the high unemployment this country faces; that is $1.234 trillion. And what have we gotten for all that spending? Record food stamp use, a rise in the poverty rate, a credit downgrade, 9.1 percent unemployment rate nationwide, 11.6 percent for the Rockford metro area, 16.2 percent underemployment rate and zero net new jobs created across the country in August.
How much more of our money is going to be thrown away before Keynesian economic-loving Democrats admit their philosophy, their agenda, their policies are complete and total unmitigated disasters? Probably never; therefore, we will just have to give every big government spending-addicted Democrat who is allergic to fiscal responsibility the pink slip.
Ulysses S. Arn
From the Oct. 12-18, 2011, issue