- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
Throwing away our money on government spending
A $447 billion jobs bill and $787 billion in stimulus has or will be spent to deal with the high unemployment this country faces; that is $1.234 trillion. And what have we gotten for all that spending? Record food stamp use, a rise in the poverty rate, a credit downgrade, 9.1 percent unemployment rate nationwide, 11.6 percent for the Rockford metro area, 16.2 percent underemployment rate and zero net new jobs created across the country in August.
How much more of our money is going to be thrown away before Keynesian economic-loving Democrats admit their philosophy, their agenda, their policies are complete and total unmitigated disasters? Probably never; therefore, we will just have to give every big government spending-addicted Democrat who is allergic to fiscal responsibility the pink slip.
Ulysses S. Arn
From the Oct. 12-18, 2011, issue