- Hospitals lift visitor age restrictions as number of flu cases decreases
- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
- Guest Column: Housing Authority CEO: Time to unify behind quality living
- Rockford police investigate 17th Street murder
- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
Throwing away our money on government spending
A $447 billion jobs bill and $787 billion in stimulus has or will be spent to deal with the high unemployment this country faces; that is $1.234 trillion. And what have we gotten for all that spending? Record food stamp use, a rise in the poverty rate, a credit downgrade, 9.1 percent unemployment rate nationwide, 11.6 percent for the Rockford metro area, 16.2 percent underemployment rate and zero net new jobs created across the country in August.
How much more of our money is going to be thrown away before Keynesian economic-loving Democrats admit their philosophy, their agenda, their policies are complete and total unmitigated disasters? Probably never; therefore, we will just have to give every big government spending-addicted Democrat who is allergic to fiscal responsibility the pink slip.
Ulysses S. Arn
From the Oct. 12-18, 2011, issue