- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
- Charges re-filed against seven Hells Angels
- Tube Talk: Addicted to ‘Rehab Addict’
Throwing away our money on government spending
A $447 billion jobs bill and $787 billion in stimulus has or will be spent to deal with the high unemployment this country faces; that is $1.234 trillion. And what have we gotten for all that spending? Record food stamp use, a rise in the poverty rate, a credit downgrade, 9.1 percent unemployment rate nationwide, 11.6 percent for the Rockford metro area, 16.2 percent underemployment rate and zero net new jobs created across the country in August.
How much more of our money is going to be thrown away before Keynesian economic-loving Democrats admit their philosophy, their agenda, their policies are complete and total unmitigated disasters? Probably never; therefore, we will just have to give every big government spending-addicted Democrat who is allergic to fiscal responsibility the pink slip.
Ulysses S. Arn
From the Oct. 12-18, 2011, issue