- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Breast cancer topic of free program Oct. 25 at OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center
Online Staff Report
“Why Are So Many Women Getting Breast Cancer, and What Can We Do About It?” is the title of the Community Health Program to be held Tuesday, Oct. 25, in the atrium at OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center, 5666 E. State St.
The event begins at 5 p.m. with free health screenings, including blood pressure, glucose and cholesterol, a wellness and nutrition mini-presentation at 5:30 p.m., and the keynote presentation at 6 p.m.
Dr. Kent Hoskins, medical oncologist at the OSF Saint Anthony Center for Cancer Care, will discuss at 6 p.m. what the most recent research reveals about preventing, detecting and treating breast cancer. He will cover the “proven risk factors” and briefly discuss the myriad of unproven associations.
Dr. Hoskins will also explain why you can’t believe everything you read in the newspaper or online. The role of diet, exercise, alcohol, Vitamin D and HRT in devising prevention strategies will also be discussed.
Jodi Witte, OSF Saint Anthony clinical dietitian and specialist in oncology nutrition, will give a “mini-presentation” about nutrition wellness and the new “My Plate” recommendations at 5:30 p.m. in the Saint Francis Room.
Informational booths include the OSF Women’s Center, the OSF Wound Healing Center and the Illinois Neurological Institute.
Light refreshments will be served.
The Community Health Program is free, but reservations are requested by calling (815) 395-5493. The OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center website is www.osfsaintanthony.org.