- 20-year sentence in 2013 homicide
- Parolee arrested after search warrant at RHA property
- Olympic star Michael Phelps arrested on second DUI charge
- Former NIU QB Harnish signed to Vikings practice squad
- Man arrested after ax incident
- The Odds Man: Chicago, Detroit, San Diego good bets in Week 4
- Updated: Roosevelt High School evacuated after bomb threat
- Grand jury: No charges against Tony Stewart
- Laurent House to remain open for tours throughout the year
- Dynamic father-son piano duo at Mendelssohn Sept. 26
Breast cancer topic of free program Oct. 25 at OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center
Online Staff Report
“Why Are So Many Women Getting Breast Cancer, and What Can We Do About It?” is the title of the Community Health Program to be held Tuesday, Oct. 25, in the atrium at OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center, 5666 E. State St.
The event begins at 5 p.m. with free health screenings, including blood pressure, glucose and cholesterol, a wellness and nutrition mini-presentation at 5:30 p.m., and the keynote presentation at 6 p.m.
Dr. Kent Hoskins, medical oncologist at the OSF Saint Anthony Center for Cancer Care, will discuss at 6 p.m. what the most recent research reveals about preventing, detecting and treating breast cancer. He will cover the “proven risk factors” and briefly discuss the myriad of unproven associations.
Dr. Hoskins will also explain why you can’t believe everything you read in the newspaper or online. The role of diet, exercise, alcohol, Vitamin D and HRT in devising prevention strategies will also be discussed.
Jodi Witte, OSF Saint Anthony clinical dietitian and specialist in oncology nutrition, will give a “mini-presentation” about nutrition wellness and the new “My Plate” recommendations at 5:30 p.m. in the Saint Francis Room.
Informational booths include the OSF Women’s Center, the OSF Wound Healing Center and the Illinois Neurological Institute.
Light refreshments will be served.
The Community Health Program is free, but reservations are requested by calling (815) 395-5493. The OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center website is www.osfsaintanthony.org.