- Hospitals lift visitor age restrictions as number of flu cases decreases
- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
- Guest Column: Housing Authority CEO: Time to unify behind quality living
- Rockford police investigate 17th Street murder
- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
Breast cancer topic of free program Oct. 25 at OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center
Online Staff Report
“Why Are So Many Women Getting Breast Cancer, and What Can We Do About It?” is the title of the Community Health Program to be held Tuesday, Oct. 25, in the atrium at OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center, 5666 E. State St.
The event begins at 5 p.m. with free health screenings, including blood pressure, glucose and cholesterol, a wellness and nutrition mini-presentation at 5:30 p.m., and the keynote presentation at 6 p.m.
Dr. Kent Hoskins, medical oncologist at the OSF Saint Anthony Center for Cancer Care, will discuss at 6 p.m. what the most recent research reveals about preventing, detecting and treating breast cancer. He will cover the “proven risk factors” and briefly discuss the myriad of unproven associations.
Dr. Hoskins will also explain why you can’t believe everything you read in the newspaper or online. The role of diet, exercise, alcohol, Vitamin D and HRT in devising prevention strategies will also be discussed.
Jodi Witte, OSF Saint Anthony clinical dietitian and specialist in oncology nutrition, will give a “mini-presentation” about nutrition wellness and the new “My Plate” recommendations at 5:30 p.m. in the Saint Francis Room.
Informational booths include the OSF Women’s Center, the OSF Wound Healing Center and the Illinois Neurological Institute.
Light refreshments will be served.
The Community Health Program is free, but reservations are requested by calling (815) 395-5493. The OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center website is www.osfsaintanthony.org.