- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
First asphalt plant protest
By Nichole Larison Sammon
Last Saturday, Oct. 15, the East State Street neighbors held a protest to raise awareness for the potential asphalt plant going into the East State Street Quarry. The Fox Ridge neighborhood was the setting for the protest and home to many neighbors who will be affected by the asphalt plant odors, health risks, and property value degradation.
Fox Ridge is a community that supports many charities throughout the year by allowing running races to go through their neighborhood. The protest was held during one of the last likely asphalt odor-free 5K races, the Kennedy 5K, for the Fox Ridge neighborhood. The neighbors held up signs, decorated their driveways in chalk, and cheered on the conceivably last set of runners in the neighborhood.
A couple of the runners were even the neighbors themselves; running for a great charity and in support of voting NO for the asphalt plant. Once the asphalt plant is allowed to operate, race directors will most likely want to move the race location for the comfort of their runners and to protect the charity dollars they so desperately need.
Help us continue to support great charities for our community, and ask your Winnebago County Board member to vote NO for the proposed asphalt plant. Surely a 5-mile move of an asphalt plant isn’t worth hurting local charities.
From the Oct. 19-25, 2011, issue