- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
- Woman gets 10 years for 2013 involuntary manslaughter
- Secretary of State Police to target abuse of disability parking on Black Friday
- Illinois Commerce Commission approves 500-mile direct-current electric wind power line
- Meet John Doe: Rockford could benefit from the new Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute in Chicago
- Tech-Friendly: Surface Pro 3 ad comparing it to MacBook Air is a joke
- Chicago restaurateur Billy Lawless to introduce Obama during immigration speech in Chicago
- Travel Wisconsin Snow Conditions Report assists snow seekers
- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
Park District presents Distinguished Service Award
The Rockford Park District Board of Commissioners presented Joel Cowen with a Distinguished Service Award. Cowen recently retired from his position as assistant dean for Health Systems Research at the University of Illinois College of Medicine.
For more than 20 years, Cowen has worked with the Rockford Park District Board of Commissioners and various Rockford Park District staff members. Cowen has helped the Rockford Park District survey citizens about ways to improve services and establish facility priorities, and has helped the Park District to better understand the dynamics of changing community demographics and recognize trends that could impact district services.
Rockford Park District Executive Director Tim Dimke said: “We appreciate tremendously all Joel Cowen has done for the Rockford Park District. He’s a mastermind when it comes to facts, figures and demographics. Over the years, he’s spent countless hours going over citizen surveys and collecting feedback during public forums, which helps the Rockford Park District Board establish priorities that are in line with those of the citizens we serve.”
Park Board President Jack Armstrong presented Cowen with the Distinguished Service Award for his commitment to the continuing health and well-being of the Rockford community.
From the Oct. 19-25, 2011, issue