- A closer look at fracking for natural gas
- Susan Johnson, copy editor, moves on after 21 years
- Guest Column: Clean Water Act: Supporters of clean water must make their voices heard
- Susan Johnson: Saying goodbye to a career
- Super Bowl XLIX prediction: Seahawks will top Patriots
- Sinnissippi Park improvements announced
- Rockford Park District recognized at Illinois Park and Recreation Association Conference
- Man gets natural life in prison for September 2011 murder
- Meet John Doe: Remember the crew of the space shuttle ‘Challenger’
- Tech-Friendly: Update your Adobe Flash Player today
Public invited to observe free violin master class Oct. 26
Online Staff Report
Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center will present a free violin master class with violin virtuoso Darwyn Apple at 6:30 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 26.
The event will be at Allen Chapel AME Church, 3000 Rural St., Rockford. Four local violin students will work with Apple on intermediate to advanced repertoire. The general public is welcome to attend and observe.
Apple debuted with the Detroit Symphony at age 17. He has extensive solo and ensemble experiences in the United States, the Virgin Islands, Europe and South America, as well as solo appearances with many American orchestras, including those of New Orleans and Toledo, and many return engagements with the Detroit Symphony. He performed as part of the presidential inaugural festivities in Washington, D.C., in January 1993.
Apple was first violinist with the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra for many years and was previously a member of the New Orleans Symphony Orchestra and Rochester Philharmonic, and served as concertmaster of the Toledo Symphony.
Apple will perform with the award-winning Mendelssohn Chamber Orchestra in concert at 7:30 p.m., Friday, Oct. 28, at Court Street United Methodist Church, 215 N. Court St.
To purchase concert tickets or for more about upcoming events, call the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center at (815) 964-9713 or visit www.mendelssohnpac.org.