- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Public invited to observe free violin master class Oct. 26
Online Staff Report
Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center will present a free violin master class with violin virtuoso Darwyn Apple at 6:30 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 26.
The event will be at Allen Chapel AME Church, 3000 Rural St., Rockford. Four local violin students will work with Apple on intermediate to advanced repertoire. The general public is welcome to attend and observe.
Apple debuted with the Detroit Symphony at age 17. He has extensive solo and ensemble experiences in the United States, the Virgin Islands, Europe and South America, as well as solo appearances with many American orchestras, including those of New Orleans and Toledo, and many return engagements with the Detroit Symphony. He performed as part of the presidential inaugural festivities in Washington, D.C., in January 1993.
Apple was first violinist with the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra for many years and was previously a member of the New Orleans Symphony Orchestra and Rochester Philharmonic, and served as concertmaster of the Toledo Symphony.
Apple will perform with the award-winning Mendelssohn Chamber Orchestra in concert at 7:30 p.m., Friday, Oct. 28, at Court Street United Methodist Church, 215 N. Court St.
To purchase concert tickets or for more about upcoming events, call the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center at (815) 964-9713 or visit www.mendelssohnpac.org.